Before we go in detail about dental prothesis we need to first know what is dental prothesis. Dental prothesis devices helps to replace and repair missing and damaged teeth. It is always hard with a missing tooth because it can affect your chewing ability and can also raise your risk of gum diseases. Missing a tooth can affect the bone health of the jaw making the other teeth at risk. We can find several types of fixed dental appliances like crowning and implants. Dental implants are widely found and used for several treatment options that is used to replace missing tooth.
How are dental prostheses made of?
At first, we have to first go through the assessment of your teeth and oral cavity and take an Xray of the teeth which needs to be dental prosthesis. This can give an idea to the dentist about what type of prosthesis can support the remaining teeth. The second thing the dentist does is that they take an impression of teeth by asking you to bite into a mould, as they would send this mould to the dental laboratory.
In case the lost teeth are not replaced promptly, it can directly affect the balance of the mouth which can affect the remaining teeth. The inflammation of the tissues that support the remaining teeth can cause their loosening, fractures and consequent loss.
Types of dental prostheses
There are four types of dental protheses: –
- Dental implants: dental implants are implanted to our bone of the jaw, its like the root of the teeth and it can be replaced with a new one. It can be one or an entire row of the teeth. By having these dental implants, it not only replaces parts of the tooth but also dental roots are also replaced. They also help in restoring the stimulus to the bone thus preventing it from bone loss. These methods are used in cases of partial or total loss of teeth. Dental implantations can solve the problems of retention and support the prosthesis thus it improves the functions of speech and chewing through oral rehabilitation and that too as natural as possible. In today’s technologies with computer assisted systems, the procedure can be easily carried out in a simple, quicker and in painless way to perform bioenergetics of people. The main purpose of a successful oral rehabilitation is both to replace lost teeth and support tissues. This can help in rejuvenating of facial aesthetics and increase the comfort, satisfaction in people.
- Crowns: crowns can cover a single damaged tooth or it can be a form part of a bridge. They are placed on each side of one or more false teeth. This crown is made of metal or porcelain. These crowns are long lasting solutions for your teeth that are chipped, cracked or worn down. Basically, dental crowning is a new covering for your damaged teeth. Crowning is considered as a permanent solution for your teeth.
- Dentures: dentures are partial or full replacement of a few or rows of false teeth. Denture is the traditional restoration treatment for missing teeth. This method of dental prosthesis includes a device of acrylic, metal, porcelain or the combination thereof which has the ability to replace the coronal part or several missing teeth in the mouth. The common types of dentures include:
- Complete denture: it means it replaces all your teeth and it must be removed daily for cleaning.
- Removable partial dentures: as the name suggests they replace some but not all the teeth.
- Fixed partial dentures: they are also known as implant- supported bridges.
- Implant retained denture: they are affixed to implants but they must be removed daily for cleaning.
Another type of a denture is called the flipper, these are temporary partial dentures which replaces one or two teeth. They are fewer durable materials than regular dentures, these are only used for a short period of time
- Veneers: veneers are a thin shell that can cover any discolouration or chipped teeth and these veneers can improve their appearance. In case of a having a veneer, you need to first have a relatively positioned teeth to support the veneer. A veneer can last upto 10 to 15 years.
What are the basic benefits of a dental prothesis device.
- having done a dental prothesis can improve the appearance of your teeth which can initially boost your confidence level.
- It can indirectly affect your health system, as chewing properly is an important of your diet, the properly you chew your food more nutrients will enter your body.
- It can support the strength of the jawbone thus supporting the strength of other teeth.
- It can protect against gum diseases that can lead to other serious health problems and illness.